Thursday 24 January 2013

Film review- Life of Pi





I always said that this blog was going to talk about various films and books as well as beauty and lifestyle. I've been wanting to do this particular post for a while, but I wanted to make sure that I did this remarkable film justice, and as I've been ploughing through my final uni exams I decided to hold fire.

 I should maybe say first of all that I loved Yann Martel's prize winning novel 'Life of Pi' when I read it many years ago. As a child I was always very keen on C. S. Lewis' books, and somehow life of Pi was always like a more grown up and dimensional version for me. Maybe it was the whole big cat feature. Either way, when I heard about the film adaptation that was underway, I really wasn't sure. I knew how I had imagined the book, and I wasn't convinced I wanted to see someone else's version.





 I had absolutely no reason to worry. Firstly, let's look at the special effects. They really are phenomenal. I've always felt a bit underwhelmed by 3D and often it's made me feel quite unwell. From the very opening titles as we are shown around Pi's beautiful zoo in India, the 3D is a part of the film and utilised so perfectly that it becomes a part of the film rather than simply a gilding to cover weak story lines. Some scenes in this film can only be described as breathtakingly beautiful, so much so that words really can't describe. It's the best use of 3D I have ever seen at the cinema, and as far as I'm concerned has set the bench mark for what films over the next couple of years should be trying to achieve.



 Now on to the story, which I believe is as beautiful as the effects. People seem to be concerned that they will get bored watching a film where a significant portion is one character alone on a life boat with a Bengal tiger. All I can do is plead that you will not let this put you off. The time flies in this film, and there are never long awkward moments that feel lacking in dialogue between multiple characters.

 As far as an adaptation goes I can honestly say I have never seen a better book to film version. Ang Lee deserves a round of applause every time he steps out his front door as far as I'm concerned. While his version of 'Sense and Sensibility' will always hold a place in my heart, many of his other films (yes, including 'Brokeback Mountain') have passed me by. This is something I'm going to be changing as soon as possible though! Lee somehow took everything that was already perfect about the book, made it visually beautiful and then proceeded to take any weak spots and totally perfect them. The final message of the book is crystallised by Lee to perfection. There is only one section of the book that is left out, but as Pi is experiencing a temporary blindness I can appreciate that this would struggle to translate on the big screen. I also think Lee made a wonderful move to cast a completely unknown actor in a lead role that the entire film depended on. A brave move which paid of splendidly.





I have only one annoyance with the whole thing and that is the random addition of a love interest for Pi at the beginning of the film. Why is this necessary?! What is Hollywood's obsession with having a love interest?! LEAVE IT ALONE! As her screen time is all of about a minute, it really didn't cause me that much strife. I can't believe that an audience couldn't have empathised with Pi's desolation at leaving his home, his way of life, his friends, his zoo and his country and cultural identity, without a random girl fluttering her eyelashes a bit though.




All in all the best film I have seen, possibly ever. I beg you all to rush out and see it if you haven't already. Do try to go 3D- like the story itself the addition of animals (or in this case 3D) just makes it more magical. If you have gone to see it, what did you think? Did you love it as much as I did? I'd love to hear your thoughts as well...


5 comments:

  1. I completely LOVED this film! So moving and really makes you think a lot about the plot and how it can be interpretted!

    laurenzetta.blogspot.com

    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you enjoyed it as well! Although it's been nominated for lots of awards I notice it hasn't been without some negative criticism which I don't really understand!
    Love your blog! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to see this film - I have never read the book but if I like the film (and like the story) I may read the book!! <3
    Lots of love from
    Annabelle
    TheCurleyGirl
    xoxoxoxoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely give it a go! Let me know if you do and how you get on :) xxx

      Delete
    2. Oh my god! I watched it after this post and it was so great!!! Thank you for introducing this to my lifeee!!!!

      Delete